Have you ever peered out to appreciate the beauty of nature, when all of a sudden, some poor winged creature smashes right into your window. Well if you have, you may be interested to find out that window collisions happen more often than you might think.
According to a 2014 study, about 1 billion birds die in the US every year because of window collisions. Not only does this cause harm to whoever or whatever bangs into your window, but even your window itself can incur some damage.
There are a lot of steps that you can take in order to prevent window collisions from happening. Here are a few helpful tips:
Identify the problem that causes window collisions.
Examine which windows in your building poses danger and analyze why they are so. These may typically be large windows or multiple windows that are next to each other.
See if there is a clear reflection of skies or trees that is visible. If you are able to see this, then it’s very likely that birds and other creatures can too. A great number of birds meet their fate at the hands of these windows because of how they reflect the sky or the foliage around them.
Check if there are any other items that may attract birds to your window, inadvertently causing window collisions as they fly toward something and suddenly smack onto glass instead.
Mark your windows and make them visible.
There are various ways in which you can prevent these window collisions from happening. The easiest and most obvious is to put markings on your window to make them more visible.
- Make vertical or horizontal patterns that run across your window. For this, you may use tempera paint or soap and make different grid patterns. You can even get creative and make artworks out of these.
- You may use other decorative materials such as decals, stickers and others. However, these have to be spaced closer together in order to achieve the desired effect.
You may install specialized tapes on the exterior surface of your windows as well. There are translucent tapes available in the market that make glass windows more visible and easy to see. They may partially obscure your view but still allow for light to pass through.
- You also have the option of putting up adhesive sheets on your windows. These are designed specifically to ward off birds. They likewise come in different designs and patterns. You do not need these to be obviously striking in order to work. Some have very subtle patterns that are enough for birds to take notice.
- Putting up bird savers, which are also known as Zen curtains, may also be another way to go. These are ropes that you can dangle down across your window. For those who do not have the time to put up adhesives or paints, these are a lot easier to install. All you have to do is hang them by your window, and take them down or put back up whenever you please.
- You do not have to get Zen curtains if you do not already have them. Normal curtains can also have the same effect. You may also put up screens and nettings than can warn birds just the same.
Install specialized windows.
If window collision is a significant concern, you can get right down to the root of it all and install specialized windows. This way, no longer will there be a need for adhesives and the like that you have to constantly reapply.
- You may install windows that already have built-in designs. You may opt for those that have a stained, smoked, fritted, or similar effect.
- If you are into more muted designs, there are glass windows especially designed to deter window collisions. An example of this would be window glass embedded with polyamide threads specifically for the protection of birds. They are a lot more subtle than smoked glass, for example, but they do the job just as well.
For Professional Window Repair and Installation, Contact Glass King!
Window collisions are something we would all like to avoid. So many living creatures lose their lives because of unfortunate accidents like this. On top of that, you also put yourself at risk in the event that your windows break under this pressure.
In order to avoid this, Glass King has a variety of glass choices for you. In case collisions do significant harm to your windows, we have top-notch home and commercial glass repair services. Just give us a ring and we will be right on it!