Tempered glass is toughened glass, treated by heat or chemicals to enhance its strength. It is about four times as strong as annealed glass, of the same thickness and dimensions.
This commercial glass is sometimes referred to as safety glass. Unlike ordinary annealed glass, tempered glass do not shatter into jagged shards and pieces when broken. Tempered glass breaks down into small, harmless pieces. This makes it ideal for use in environments where safety is of primary concern.
How is Tempered Commercial Glass made?
A word of caution with tempered glass: Product failure can occur when edging and etching are done after the strengthening process. Prior the tempering process, the glass should be cut to its desired shape and size. The glass then undergoes a heat treatment process in a tempering oven.
The industry standard used in tempering glasses is 620 degrees Celsius. Thereafter, it is cooled under high-pressure through a process called quenching. High-pressure air blasts the surface of the glass which cools the glass. The outer surface of the glass cools more quickly compared to its center.
The tempering process leaves the center of the glass in tension, whereas the outer surfaces are in compression. This gives the tempered glass its enhanced strength, as compared with annealed glass.
Another method of tempering glass is through chemical tempering. It is a more costly method and thus, is not widely used.
Uses of Tempered Commercial Glass
There are certain areas in a building or establishment that will require the use of safety or tempered glass. These are glass:
- in any doors in your building;
- used in the bathroom (Shower, Bath tub Area, Steam Room, or Sauna Room)
- in fixed and movable panels adjacent to a door: where the nearest exposed edge is within 24 inches of the vertical edge of the door in closed position. It is also where the bottom of the edge is less than 60 inches above a walking surface;
- in fixed or movable panels where: the bottom edge is less than 18 inches above the floor, the top edge is greater than 36 inches above the floor. The total area of the glass is greater than 9 sq. ft., and one or more walking surfaces is within 36 inches horizontal of the glazing;
- in walls used as barrier for pools or spas where: the bottom edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches above a pool side and the glazing. The glazing is within 5 feet of the swimming pool deck area;
- in walls that enclose stairway landings, which are within 5 feet of the bottom or top of the stairways, and;
- Storefronts and glass walls.
Benefits of Using Tempered Glass
There are many benefits to using tempered commercial glass for your building and establishment. The top three are:
When tempered glass breaks, it breaks into small pieces, instead of sharp and jagged shards. This reduces the risk of injury for anyone nearby in the unfortunate event that the glass breaks.
Since tempered glass breaks into small pieces, you can easily sweep or vacuum them. No need to carefully pick up large and sharp shards of glass. The ease of cleaning it off also minimizes the risk of injury.
Because of the improved strength brought about by the tempering process, tempered commercial glass is the main choice for maximum durability. It is the perfect choice for glass windows and glass doors.
Glass Fixtures are a Must!
A building or commercial establishment is not complete without a glass fixture. Glass both serve structural and aesthetic functions. It can add visual appeal to your business establishment, and can make it look classy and modern.
Glass that you use must not only add beauty to the establishment. It must also not sacrifice the strength and structural integrity of the building. The glass that you use must be tested and well-engineered for strength and safety.
For your glass needs and services in Arizona and the surrounding areas, contact Glass King!
Glass King offers a wide array of commercial glass services. We install, repair, or replace glass, and can help you with any glass-related problems.
For commercial glass servicing, choose a trustworthy and reliable commercial glass company that offers high quality products and services. Let our experts take on your glass needs and problems. With us, you can be assured of a high quality but fairly priced result.
Let the beauty of your establishment do the talking. Call us today at 480-389-5656 for a free quote!