The beginning of Summer is a fabulous time for fun activities, including projects around the house. But while you are at it, did you swipe your window pane and find dust on your fingers? When was the last time you checked the window sills for cracks or leakage? Are the window caulking and weather stripping in good condition?
You need to prioritize glass window maintenance to enhance the aesthetic appeal of your window and maximize energy efficiency.
Read on to discover some glass window maintenance tips for Summer. You will be glad you did.
Glass Window Maintenance Tips
It would help to familiarize yourself with how you can maintain a fully functional window.
1. Conduct a thorough visual check.
You don’t have to be an expert to see if there are cracks in your window pane or leaks on any side of the glass window. Check the window hardware for any loose nuts and bolts. Is there any obstruction to the window tracks? The glass window should glide smoothly when you open and close the fixture. Are the paints chipped off as well? A fresh coat of paint enhances the appeal of your window treatment.
2. Clean your glass window on a cloudy day.
Most people think that summertime is the best season to clean glass windows. Ideally, it is best to clean at the start of each season.
Is it wise to clean glass windows on a hot, sunny day? The extreme heat dries the wet surface instantly, leaving watermarks and streaks of cleaning products on the glass surface. It is better to clean windows on a cloudy day when the sun does not hit the window directly.
The cheapest and most effective cleaning agent is right inside your kitchen cupboard. Mix 50% white vinegar with 50% distilled water. Use a spray bottle to dispense the solution on the glass surface. Wipe the surface dry with a microfiber cloth. If you do not like the obnoxious smell of vinegar, you can try soapy water or a cleaning solution instead. Word of caution, though: use cleaning solution sparingly. The residue will make the glass window look dirty and unkempt if not wiped off immediately.
Have you tried using a squeegee to clean your glass window? It is a cleaning equipment that spreads and wipes off liquid easily. The best thing about using a squeegee is that there are no water spills on the window sill. Clean from top to bottom and wipe off excess liquid from the rubber blade with a cloth. Aside from cleaning in vertical strokes, you may work your way down in s shape or circular motion.
3. Keep glass windows cool in summer.
The scorching summer heat may damage glass windows. Sunlight that permeates the glass makes the room hot and uncomfortable. Instead of battling the rising temperature with an air conditioner, why not try these tips to keep glass windows cool in the summer and save precious dollars in electric bills?
- Apply tint film to reflect sunlight outward instead of letting it permeate the room. Redirecting the glare of the sun makes the room cozy and energy-efficient.
- Seal off drafts along the window edge. Apply weather stripping if you have not yet done so. If you have previously weather-stripped your windows, they might have deteriorated and badly need a replacement.
- Create shade to prevent sunlight from directly hitting your glass window. It is best to plant trees in strategic areas outside your window.
- Upgrade to low emissivity glass windows. Low-E glass is sealed with special silicon sealant to reflect heat, so your room stays comfortable. It also allows enough natural light to pass through, thus reducing the need for electric light during the day.
4. Apply weather stripping to your windows.
Weather-stripping is a sealant to keep hot air from entering your premises in summer. It keeps the cold air out during winter as well. These are the common types of weather stripping:
- Felt strips are an inexpensive and old-fashioned way of weather stripping. Rolls of felt with adhesive tape come in various lengths, widths, and colors.
- Adhesive-Backed Foam Tape is affordable and easy to use. It keeps air sneaking between window sashes. Rolls of foam tape come in different dimensions and usually lasts up to five years.
- Vinyl V Strips are a durable material. The V shape is effective in sealing gaps between windows and wood frames.
- EPDM Rubber Weather seal tape is a self-sticking tape that works similarly to foam weather stripping tape.
Why do you need to maintain your glass window?
A glass window provides a magnificent view of the beautiful world outside. How would you like to see the outside world from your window? Is it crystal clear or hazy? On the other hand, dirt and grime-free windows give a sneak preview of the house from the outside. It is a sign of clean, orderly, and responsible upkeep. Maintaining the condition of the glass window helps save precious dollars on costly repair, replacement, and energy bills too!
If you need professional help in glass window maintenance, Glass King in Chandler, Az, is just a call away!
Let the friendly expert in glass repair and replacement services fulfill your glass window maintenance requirements. We specialize in home and commercial glass repair in the Phoenix Metro area. Call us anytime at 480-389-5656 or click here to get a quick quote. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll get back to you asap.