Mirrors do wonders for the interior of any home. They provide a classy atmosphere and it makes smaller spaces seem bigger. With its aesthetic value and decorative function, using mirrors is really a great way to go. One of the most utilized design has something to do with propping up fireplace mirrors. You can do so by hanging or securing them on top of the mantel. Here are some things to know if you want to follow suit.
Fireplace mirrors come in different shapes and sizes. Settling for which piece that should go on top of your mantel is very crucial. Scour interior design sites and magazines for cool ideas. You can even mix and match mirrors with art work for an even better look. Overlapping pieces are all the rage in interior design. Bring out your artsy side and play with mirrors and art work of varying height, width, and colors. Taking such a risk will definitely have a huge pay-off in the end.
The best thing about mirrors at this day and age is that they can be customized any way you like. You can have glass outlets provide you with your own unique cut. Achieving the style you have been pining for will not be a problem. It is best that you already have a plan in mind before you ask for a customized mirror. This way, you can give clear requirements regarding the size, shape, and style of the mirror you would want to buy.
Before you get your own fireplace mirrors, you have to determine the exact size that you will need. You will have to know the dimensions before checking out an online glass outlet just like Glass King. Having measurements ready saves you so much time and effort.
It would also be helpful if you brushed up on some basics when it comes to designing using mirrors. These include the following:
- Bigger mirrors provide width and better illumination. They are statement pieces as well. They can also reflect focal points of the room such as breathtaking light fixtures or an amazing art work.
- The key here is to maximize the mirrors’ reflective function. Mirrors reflecting a great view adds yet another layer of atmosphere to the room. With excellently-placed mirrors, you can use what they reflect as room decoration.
- Palette is yet another thing to look into. Mirror frames come in a variety of colors so make sure that they do not compete with the color of the wall. If you are not sure about what color to choose, going for neutrals is always a safe bet. Better yet, before putting in the fixtures, have a wall with a neutral color. This way you can add different things without having to worry about color combination in the long run.
- Height is important, too. You cannot high them too high or too low. If you want to just prop them up, you also have to consider the height of your mantel as well. The rule of thumb is for a person to comfortably see his/her reflection. If he/she has to tiptoe or stoop to get the best reflection of himself/herself, there might be a need to correct the placing of your mirror.
- Narrowly-framed mirrors go well with smaller rooms.
- For the best illusion of width, you can use fireplace mirrors and identical rectangular or square mirrors propped up side by side.
- Tall mirrors will go best for high-ceilinged houses.
Just because bigger mirrors provide better width and illumination, it does not mean that you would automatically settle for them. You have to make sure that the fireplace mirrors you choose are proportional to your space. They should also fit your mantel or be of the right size for hanging above the fire place.
To maximize height and width, go all out when you have large rooms with high ceilings. This makes the room look even more grandiose than it already is. For smaller rooms, you can prop up rectangular or square shaped mirrors on top of the fireplace. This gives an illusion of wider space without the mirrors becoming too overbearing.
Colors also add yet another layer of decorative value to the room. It would be nice if you have a neutral background so you can use interesting pieces to deliver that added pop to your room. If you have a gray wall, for example, you can play with bright-colored frames. Getting the best color combination will further add aesthetic value to your chosen mirror.
For a wide selection of fireplace mirrors, Glass King is a wonderful place to start. We can customize mirrors perfect for your fireplace. Contact us through the details on the site so we can help you find the best mirrors to accentuate your lovely home.